Friday, May 11, 2012

Sophomore’s "Pay It Forward" Project Benefits Pinecrest Residents

For Nicole Hanes, a sophomore at Elk County Catholic High School, selecting a “Pay It Forward” project was easy.

“I’ve got a soft spot for the elderly,” Miss Hanes said. “I think they’re very caring people. They’ve spent their lives taking care of others. So when I got the assignment from my teacher, I knew my project was going to be something that would benefit the elderly in some way.”

Every year, sophomores at Elk County Catholic High School are required to do a “Pay It Forward” project as part of Jennifer Meyer’s Theology class. Miss Hanes chose to make quilts for the residents at Pinecrest Manor.

“When we got the assignment, it was in January,” Miss Hanes said. “It was colder. And all I could think about was the residents in their wheelchairs trying to stay warm. Our Pay It Forward project is supposed to make a difference in someone else’s life.”

Miss Hanes, who had previously made herself a cut-and-tie quilt, made two other quilts and a pillow with the help of her mother. She purchased another quilt and recently donated all three quilts and the pillow to the residents at Pinecrest Manor.

“I know I speak for everyone at Pinecrest when I say that we’re grateful that Miss Hanes thought of our residents and their comfort,” said David A. Wolfe, NHA, the Administrator of Pinecrest Manor. “I commend her for using her class project as an opportunity to do something selfless for someone else. She has set an example not only for her peers, but for all of us as well.”

Miss Hanes is the daughter of Dean and Mary Hanes of Kersey.

PHOTO: Nicole Hanes, a sophomore at Elk County Catholic High School, made quilts and donated them to the residents of Pinecrest Manor as part of a “Pay It Forward” project she conducted as part of her Theology class. Above, Miss Hanes gives a quilt to Pinecrest resident Yvonne Oertly as Marie Goode, RN, the Director of Nursing at Pinecrest Manor, Judy Wilhelm, the Activities Director at Pinecrest Manor, and Miss Hanes’ mother, Mary, look on.