Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Elk Regional Welcomes St. Marys Native to Medical Staff

Elk Regional Health Center is proud to welcome Amy M. Kelly, D.O., a family practice physician and St. Marys native, back to her hometown. Dr. Kelly will join the practice of Dean Stokes, M.D. on May 15 and will see patients in both St. Marys and Emporium.

“I’m so excited about coming home,” Dr. Kelly said. “I have always wanted to come back. My husband and I have been waiting for this for a long time.”

Dr. Kelly’s husband, Brian Kellogg, is also a St. Marys native. Mr. Kellogg works for GrafTech International, formerly known as C/G Electrodes.

“It is my pleasure to welcome Dr. Kelly and her husband back to St. Marys,” said Gregory P. Bauer, the President and CEO of Elk Regional Health System. “As a St. Marys native, Dr. Kelly already has relationships with many of the people for whom she will be providing care. I know I speak for everyone at Elk Regional when I say that I am excited to welcome Dr. Kelly home.”

After having spent several years away from home, Dr. Kelly said being able to come home to practice medicine is “a real pleasure.”

“I have always loved the St. Marys community, so coming home is a real pleasure,” she said. “One of the best parts about coming home is that I have family here. My parents, Mike and Joyce Kelly, and my brothers, Chris and Andy, played a huge role in my success. If it hadn’t been for their encouragement and support over the years, there is absolutely no way I would have made it.”

Dr. Kelly earned a degree in osteopathic medicine at the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine in Philadelphia, Pa. in 2008. She earned her undergraduate degree in Biology from St. Vincent College in Latrobe, Pa.

She worked as a student physician at Elk Regional Health Center between October 2008 and May 2009 and performed her residency at Altoona Regional Health System in Altoona, Pa. While there, she was named chief resident.

Since May 2010, Dr. Kelly has worked with the Improving Performance in Practice Collaborative, a statewide initiative designed to establish statewide guidelines for the treatment of chronic diseases.

She is a member of the American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians, the Student Osteopathic Medical Association, the American Academy of Family Physicians, and the American Osteopathic Association.